Birth Preparation Antenatal workshops
"This course reaches the parts that other courses fail to reach"
Get a FREE copy of Maggie Howell's "Effective birth preparation - your practical guide to a better birth" when you book both workshops!
Natal HypnotherapyTM run two 8 hour workshops for parents geared towards empowering and preparing them emotionally as well as physically for the birth. It is recommended that couples do both workshops which can be taken at any time during pregnancy, however ideally it will be between 25 and 35 weeks.
Each couple is sent a pre workshop questionnaire to fill out, to help the practitioner gain a clear understanding of your hopes, fears and any specific issues. The workshop is then specifically tailored to the needs of each couple.
Workshops can be taken as an individual or as a couple, however it is extremely useful for a birth partner to attend as many techniques work best when a birth partner is involved.
The teaching approach includes the use of PowerPoint, videos, interactive sessions, group work, couple work and hypnosis relaxation sessions.
Module 1 - Natural Pain relief - hypnosis for birth
The first of the 2 workshops focuses exclusively on natural pain management tools and techniques – namely breathing, relaxation and self hypnosis. Couples will learn:
- How fear or anxiety can have a negative impact on your body during the birth
- How to quickly and easily reduce adrenaline associated with fear and anxiety in labour
- Natural ways to work with your body to reduce pain in child birth
- Self-hypnosis skills to overcome fear and increase their confidence and trust in their ability to give birth
- Effective breathing and deep relaxation technique
- Rapid trigger techniques to enter deep relaxation
- Adrenaline release technique
- Ways the birth partner can help the woman achieve a deeply relaxed state before and during labour
Module 2 - Practical Birth Preparation
The second workshop is a very practical day to help you prepare both physically, mentally and emotionally for the birth. You will:
- Be taken step by step through the birthing process from a physical as well as emotional perspective
- Understand how the body works best during labour and what they can do to help it
- Gain a clear understanding of the power of hormones and how you can work with them
- Key signs to indicate that the mother may be experiencing a rise in adrenaline and what the partner can do to reduce this
- Gain a clearer perspective on why fear has become such a major player in birth today
- Unravel the myths behind the beliefs which lead to so much fear
- Learn practical tools and techniques to help her work with her body in the most effective way.
- Understand the use and power of massage, water and other comfort measures in labour
- Explore the most effective ways to work with the medical team supporting them
- A special session for fathers helps them prepare appropriate questions for the medical team and plan the best support and comfort measures for the mother
By attending both these workshops, a mother will benefit from learning how to:-
- Overcome any fear of birth she may have had
- Feel relaxed and calm at all times, especially in the lead up to the birth
- Increase her energy and well being
- Ensure good quality sleep
- Increase bonding with her baby
- Dramatically reduce the level of pain experienced in childbirth
- Increase her sense of being in control
- Reduced the need for intervention / drugs
- Increase her chance of having a calm, alert baby
- Enjoy comfortable breastfeeding
- Decrease the chance of postnatal depression
By attending these workshops, a father or birth partner will:-
- Have a better understanding of the birthing process
- Have the opportunity to discuss their fears, concerns and needs
- Enjoy watching the mother let go of her fears and learn to relax deeply
- Learn effective ways to support and help her during the birth
- Learn how to help her have the birth that is right for her
- Feel calmer and more relaxed about the forthcoming birth
"The best part for me was understanding the emotional aspects of birth (not covered by other courses) the importance of preparation, really grasping how natural childbirth is and giving me the confidence and trust in my body. This course has really helped me! Thank you!’ Kate
"The key issues for me that came out of the course were all the ways to provide effective support for my partner, increasing my confidence to deal with the hospital environment and the relaxation techniques. The course was extremely useful. Men need to know this stuff."Chris
Why do I need to do this course if I am already taking an NCT or NHS course?
These workshops are an excellent complement to other antenatal courses as they approach birth preparation from a unique yet simple, easy and effective angle covering areas not covered by most other courses. As one mother said:-
“This course reaches the parts other courses cannot reach!”
Most antenatal courses cover a wide range of topics – what will happen during birth and all the procedures and protocols of our modern maternity system, pain relief options, breastfeeding, baby care skills, early days as a parent etc.
The Natal Hypnotherapy workshops focus exclusively on what you can do to help yourself have the most positive birth experience, regardless of the type of birth you are planning. They teach you in depth skills to prepare yourself mentally, emotionally as well as physically for the birth.
Whether you want a natural water birth at home or are open to having an epidural in your local hospital, what you learn on these workshops will give you the confidence and ability to work with your body no matter what your birth choices are.
The natural pain relief workshop focuses very much on your mental preparation for birth, again an area often missing on other courses. It helps you address and overcome any fears, teaches you how to relax and use your breathing effectively and helps you understand why and how these things are so important.
The birth preparation workshop teaches you simple, effective and practical tools and techniques to stay calm, relaxed and confident as well as helping you understand the physical as well as emotional map of birth. The emotional map is one which very few other courses touch on and yet for hundreds of couples who have done this course, they feel that this was one of the most important things they learnt.
How much does it cost?
Each workshop costs from £95 per mum-to-be and birth partners attend for free! You can book workshops individually or at the same time. You will get a free CD when booking the Natural Pain relief workshop plus the Effective birth preparation book if you go to both workshops
What do I need to do now?
You can read about our different practitioners and the locations they teach in by clicking here. Once you have decided where and which practitioner you would like, click through to their personal website or email to make a booking.
Once payment has been received you will receive an email conformation with details on the course timings, what to bring, what to wear, terms and conditions and the contact details of your practitioner. You will also receive a pre course questionnaire for you to fill out and return to your practitioner. This will be treated with complete confidence and will help your practitioner ensure that all your needs are met on the course.
Two weeks prior to your course, you will be contacted again by your practitioner to confirm all details and to discuss any specific concerns or issues
You will receive your free cd and book at the end of the workshop.
How do I book?
All bookings are taken directly by practitioners - please look at the column to the left to find your nearest practitioner. Then contact them directly via the links for dates and booking.
All workshops are taught by licenced, qualified, insured and regulated Natal Hypnotherapy practitioners.
For more information call 01252 716859 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Is this a HypnoBirthing® course?
No, Natal Hypnotherapy™ is not part of the US HypnoBirthing® group or the Katherine Graves Hypnobirthing. Natal Hypnotherapy™ has been developed in the UK by its founder, Clinical Hypnotherapist, Maggie Howell. The techniques have been developed organically through her own experiences of using them for five births, through her work as a hypnotherapist and Doula and her work with leading birth specialists including Michael Odent, Ina May Gaskin and Sheila Kitzinger.
Both HypnoBirthing and Natal Hypnotherapy use professional hypnosis techniques to help couples prepare for the birth and both offer full antenatal courses to teach how relaxation, hypnosis and overcoming fear can drastically reduce the level of pain and help the couple feel and be more confident and in control.
The key differences between HypnoBirthing and Natal Hypnotherapy
Created in the UK by Maggie Howell. CDs use a British accent
Created in the USA by Marie Mongon. CDs use an American voice although some are now available with a British voice
There are 2 full day workshops which can be taken at any time and in any order.
Courses are run in succession over 4- 5 three hour sessions.
Offers the choice of creating your own tailored script or using the highly successful Natal Hypnotherapy CDs.
Uses set scripts with additional scripts / suggestions for specific situations.
Attendance of the birth partner is encouraged but not essential as the hypnosis is learnt by the mother.
The guidelines require the attendance of the birth partner during the birth to help take the mother into hypnosis
No set breathing patterns are taught. The emphasis is on the rhythm and depth rather than timing or set patterns.
Teaches set breathing exercises for different stages of labour
The training to become a Natal Hypnotherapy practitioner takes 7- 9 full days.
The training to become a HypnoBirthing practitioner takes 2-4 days dependant on background.
No change in words is suggested - simply to focus on the positive outcome at all times and to use words which make you feel good
Suggests that you and the medical team use different words for the birth e.g. surges instead of contractions.
All practitioners are personally trained by Maggie Howell and then participants evaluate each course to ensure a consistent high level of tuition.
Practitioners are assessed on their written coursework, have to complete CPD training and couples send course feedback to the US.